Thursday 04 July 2019, London
At the recent PM Forum event The Living Group provided an overview into their latest report on the brand and digital presence of the world's leading law firms. You can download a copy here and it's well worth a review with the report providing overall ratings and an overview of this year's top 10 law firms.
During the session Jeyda Star of Reed Smith provided a case study of how Reed Smith have worked with the living group and re-energised the firms online presence.
Combining Reed Smith's experience and the results from the report, where are the opportunities to lead?
- As Jeyda said you need to be 'client focused, a lot more authentic and human because after-all that is what we are' and it is what your clients buy.
- A digital presence that represents the issues effecting your clients based on real world business challenges is the differentiator now not just sector or industry based.
- Create original and relevant content. Relevancy is most important.
- Use the lawyer profiles to demonstrate why your clients should use you over someone else. Macfarlanes do a great job of this (example here). Create a conversation from the page. Saying your lawyers are the best will not differentiate.
- Many firms do not have search on their website so by simply building this will help your potential clients navigate. Baker McKenzie do this well and even ask 'How can we help?' in the search bar. The best firms serve up fast results that are filtered.
- Increasingly less content is posted to YouTube and more on websites.
- Create an upfront statement on your website. Answer these questions; 'why do you matter to me' and 'what can you do for me'.
- The report showed that there is an increase in partners producing genuine, timely, relevant content. We have seen this in our own RankMyFirm report (you can download here).
- Jeyda advised when defining your approach bring the lawyers on the journey and use relevant data from the market to present ideas.
To close the session someone asked from the audience whether the ratings connected to firm's performances (given some of the highest earners were ranked lower). Greg Hobden speaking at the event made the point that it doesn't matter on the size of your firm, having a best in-class digital presence is vital to long term success.
David Kirk, Director